It’s that time of the year again, time for something warm and comforting. I don’t know about you but nothing warms me up better than a big bowl of delicious soup. Just like this one – thick and creamy white sweet potato mushroom soup with cashew cream. This healthy recipe requires just a few simple ingredients, it is very rich in flavor and can be ready in about 30 minutes.
Here, I used cremini mushrooms (brown button mushrooms) because they have firmer flesh and a more pronounced earthy flavor than white mushrooms, so the soup tastes so much better in my opinion.
White sweet potatoes and cremini mushrooms pair really well with cashew cream which adds a perfect richness and creaminess.
Did you know that when eating cooked mushrooms, it’s best to eat them as soon as they are prepared? Mushrooms contain proteins that can be damaged by enzymes and bacteria if not stored properly. Once this happens, reheated mushrooms are unsafe to eat and can cause stomach upsets.
But if you plan to eat soup leftovers the next day, make sure you don’t reheat it, just take it out from the refrigerator and let it sit at the room temperature for an hour or so.
For more fall recipes, check out Red Lentil Quinoa Stew.
White Sweet Potato Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup leeks chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 300 g brown button mushrooms (cremini mushrooms) sliced
- 700 g white sweet potatoes cut into cubes
- 750 ml water
- cardamom to taste
- salt to taste
- 60 g cashews previously soaked in water for 1-2 hours
- 100 ml plant-based milk unsweetened
- 100 ml water
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour approx. 10 g
- Place everything into a high-powered blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, chopped leeks, and sliced mushrooms and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Now add white sweet potatoes and water, stir well and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until white sweet potatoes are tender. Season with salt and cardamom.
- When the soup is done, add cashew cream and use the immersion blender to puree the soup completely (or you can transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy).
- Put the soup back to the stove and simmer for another couple of minutes on low heat.
- Feel free to add more water if the soup is too thick to your liking and adjust seasonings accordingly.
- Pour the soup into bowls, garnish with roasted mushrooms, thyme, white and black sesame seeds...