HEALTHY HIGH-PROTEIN CHOCOLATE SHAKE
Have you ever tried a chocolate shake with chickpeas? If not, you definitely should because it tastes amazing. Thanks to the addition of chickpeas, this vegan chickpea chocolate shake is high in protein and fiber.
You can serve it for breakfast, as a healthy snack, as a light dessert, or as an afternoon pick-me-up. The shake is nutritious, filling, smooth, rich, flavorful, vegan, and gluten-free. I’m sure you’ll love it.
MEET THE INGREDIENTS
This is what you need to make it:
- Cooked chickpeas
- Coconut cream
- Rice milk
- Roasted hazelnuts
- Raw cacao powder
- Maple syrup
CHICKPEAS: NUTRIENT-RICH LEGUME
Chickpeas have an impressive nutrition profile. They are high in fiber and a great source of plant-based protein. They also have a fairly low glycemic index so your body can absorb and digest them slowly.
You can use them in a variety of dishes, both sweet and savory. I really enjoy making desserts and sweet treats with chickpeas. That way, I can satisfy my sweet tooth without feeling guilty.
1 cup (164 g) of cooked chickpeas contains:
- Calories: 269
- Fat: 4.25 g
- Carbs: 45 g
- Protein: 14.5 g
- Dietary fiber: 12.5 g
HOW TO MAKE CHICKPEA CHOCOLATE SHAKE
Place cooked chickpeas, bananas, coconut cream, roasted hazelnuts, raw cacao powder, maple syrup, and rice milk into a high-speed blender and process until smooth and creamy.
If you want, you can add more milk until you reach the desired consistency.
Serve in jars. You can have it right away or you can chill it in the fridge for 15 minutes.
TIPS AND HOW-TOS
Chickpeas: I always cook chickpeas the night before (see How to cook chickpeas) but if you don’t feel like cooking, you can use canned chickpeas.
Rice milk: You can use other plant-based milk like almond, soy, or oat.
Coconut cream: Chill full-fat canned coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight so that you can easily separate cream from the liquid. The cream should be firm enough so that you can scoop it out with a spoon.
HOW TO COOK CHICKPEAS
- Wash chickpeas really well, add them to a large bowl and cover with water. The chickpeas will triple in size so it’s important to add plenty of water. Soak the chickpeas for at least 12 hours, best overnight.
- Drain and rinse soaked chickpeas and place them in a large pot. Cover the chickpeas with water and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until they are tender, 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours.
- It’s best if you keep the lid on but slightly ajar allowing some steam to escape while cooking. Keep an eye on the water level during cooking and top up with fresh hot water from time to time if needed.
- Keep cooked chickpeas in the fridge for 3-4 days.
HOW TO ROAST HAZELNUTS
Roasting hazelnuts deepens their flavor and gives them a crisper texture. Here is how to do it:
- Preheat oven to 175 °C. Spread the hazelnuts in an even layer on the baking sheet. Place in oven and roast for 10-15 minutes. Stir or shake the tray every 5 minutes to help the hazelnuts to cook evenly.
- When the hazelnuts are browned and smell nutty, remove from the oven, and immediately transfer onto a plate or another baking sheet.
- Once they are cool enough, place them in a clean tea towel and gently rub together until most of the skins have come off.
CHICKPEA CHOCOLATE SHAKE IS:
- Rich and smooth
- Easy to make
- Healthy and nutritious
Thank you for stopping by! If you try this recipe, please let us know what you think in the comments section below. Your feedback means a lot to us! Also, if you post it on Instagram, please tag us with @alltheworldisgreen because we love to see your remakes.
Chickpea Chocolate Shake
- 200 g cooked chickpeas peel the skins
- 200 g bananas
- 100 g coconut cream
- 260-280 ml rice milk
- 50 g roasted hazelnuts ground
- 40 g raw cacao powder
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Place cooked chickpeas, bananas, coconut cream, roasted hazelnuts, raw cacao powder, maple syrup and rice milk into a high-speed blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- If you want, you can add more milk until you reach the desired consistency.
- Serve in jars. You can have it right away or you can chill it in the fridge for 15 minutes.
* The nutritional information provided is calculated automatically and should be used as an estimate.