Sweet Potato Chickpea and Coconut Cream Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- thumb-sized ginger minced
- 700 g sweet potato chopped
- 3 cups chickpeas cooked
- 4-5 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- garlic powder to taste
- salt to taste
- In a large pot, place 1 tablespoon of olive oil and chopped onion and cook over low-medium heat for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add minced garlic and ginger, cook for another couple of minutes on low.
- Now add sweet potatoes, chickpeas, 4 cups of water, coconut milk, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Add turmeric, garlic powder, and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- When the soup is done use the immersion blender to puree the soup completely (or you can transfer this mixture into a blender and blend until smooth).
- If the soup is too thick, you can add more water and adjust the seasonings accordingly.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with roasted chickpeas, vegan yogurt, parsley, black cumin seeds…
All images and text © Nensi & Slaven Beram. Read more about copyright and usage policy here