This roasted beet hummus is one of my favorite recipes. So easy to make, it is great as an appetizer or even a light lunch – you can serve it on homemade crackers or spread it on toast. It is high in fiber, protein and iron, and a bit sweeter than the original version because of the addition of roasted beets. And it has such an awesome color, don’t you think?
Roasted Beet Hummus
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas approx. 250 g (drain really well)
- 1 cup roasted beets approx. 190 g (peeled and chopped)
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds approx. 50 g
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Wash 3-4 medium beets thoroughly (don't peel their skin off).
- Place them onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast for 40 - 60 minutes until they’re fork-tender. The time will depend on the size of your beets.
- Remove from oven and let them cool down.
- Peel and chop the beets.
Toasted sesame seeds
- Toast 50 g sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and process until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Serve in a bowl or a jar and top with chopped chives and/or thyme.