Purple Sweet Potato Cashew Cream Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 zucchinis chopped
- 1 thumb-sized ginger minced
- 400 g purple sweet potatoes baked, peeled and roughly chopped
- 450-500 ml of water
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- ginger powder optional
- 100 g cashews previously soaked in water for a couple of hours
- 200 ml of water
Baked purple sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Wash a couple of purple sweet potatoes well and pat them dry with a dishtowel.
- Place on a baking sheet and put them in the oven to bake for 30-45 minutes depending on size.
- Check at 30 minutes by inserting a fork into the center. They should be soft. If not, return to the oven and check again in 10 minutes. Let them cool down a bit before peeling. There should be about 400 g after you bake and peel them.
- Place drained cashews and 200 ml water into a high-powered blender and blend on high speed until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pot place 1 tablespoon of olive oil and chopped onions, and cook over low-medium heat for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add chopped zucchini and minced ginger and cook for another couple of minutes on low.
- Add approx. 400 g purple sweet potatoes, cashew cream, and 450 ml water and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- When the soup is done, add 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds. You can use the immersion blender to puree the soup completely or you can transfer it into a blender and blend until smooth.
- If the soup is too thick to your liking you can add more water.
- Serve your soup in a bowl and garnish it with broccoli sprouts, thyme, and toasted sesame seeds.