How to make food more fun? Here, for these purple pancakes with tigernut flour, I used natural food colorings – pitaya and butterfly pea flower powder to get this awesome color. Looks pretty cool, ha? So, if you are in the mood for something fun and colorful, maybe you could try and make these delicious and fluffy gluten-free purple pancakes.
In this recipe, I added a small amount of tigernut flour (my new favorite flour). It is a nutritious gluten-free flour with a unique sweet taste and a slightly gritty texture. Since tiger nuts are completely gluten-free, nut-free, and grain-free, this flour is a wonderful alternative for people with certain food allergies.
Gluten-Free Purple Pancakes
- 80 g white rice flour
- 40 g brown rice flour
- 50 g tigernut flour
- 10 g tapioca flour
- 15 g potato starch
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup
- 150 ml rice milk
- 1 ripe banana approx. 100 g
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-2 teaspoons pitaya powder
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon butterfly pea flower powder
- Put all the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl (except for the pitaya and butterfly pea flower powder).
- Mix banana, 150 ml rice milk, pitaya and butterfly pea flower powder in the blender until smooth.
- Now add the banana mixture and agave syrup to the bowl with dry ingredients and mix well. Adjust sweetness if needed.
- Brush the pan with coconut oil and preheat it under medium-low heat.
- Pour the batter into a circle (I used 1 heaped tablespoon for each pancake).
- When the pancake starts bubbling a bit and the bottom is lightly browned, flip it over and cook briefly on the other side.
- Top with red currants.