If you don’t like sugary store-bought energy bars maybe you could try and make these no-bake almond oat breakfast squares. These squares are loaded with wholesome ingredients such as toasted almonds, dates, apricots, rolled oats, and dried apples. This is a great snack when you’re feeling hungry mid-day and it will give you an instant boost of energy.
No-Bake Breakfast Squares
- 200 g dates previously soaked in water for 1-2 hours
- 100 g toasted almonds
- 100 g rolled oats
- 30 g dried apple rings chopped
- 50 g dried apricots chopped
- 20 g shredded coconut
- 10 g white chia seeds
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 80 g coconut cream the thickened cream from a can of full-fat coconut milk
- 80 g dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- Line the pan (I used 20 x 14 cm) with baking paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Drain dates and add them to the blender. Add 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil and blend shortly until you get a thick paste.
- Add date paste to the bowl with dry ingredients and stir until all is well combined and the mixture sticks together. You can also use a hand mixer for this.
- Press the mixture down firmly into prepared pan.
- Place it in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up.
- Melt chocolate over low heat in a medium pot. Stir until smooth.
- Add coconut cream, melted chocolate and agave to the blender and blend shortly until smooth. Spread the frosting on top of the cake.
- Place the cake in the fridge for half an hour to allow the topping to firm up.
- Chop it into bars or squares.