QUICK AND EASY FALL BREAKFAST RECIPE
Cozy and nutritious Kabocha Squash Overnight Oats make the perfect easy breakfast to make this fall! This recipe combines overnight oats, squash puree, and pumpkin spice mix and it comes together in just a few minutes.
Kabocha Squash Overnight Oats are high in fiber, low in fat, vegan (dairy-free), gluten-free, nut-free, and soy-free.
MEET THE INGREDIENTS
- Rolled oats – always make sure to buy certified gluten-free rolled oats to avoid possible cross-contamination.
- Rice milk
- Roasted Kabocha squash puree (check How to roast Kabocha squash)
- Pumpkin pie spice mix
- Turmeric powder
- Maple syrup (optional)
OATS AND A GLUTEN-FREE DIET
Most people with coeliac disease or gluten intolerance can tolerate gluten-free oats with no problems. However, a small percentage of people may still react to avenin – a protein in oats similar to gluten. For these people, even certified gluten-free oats may be unsafe. If you develop any new symptoms after adding gluten-free oats to your diet, it’s best if you talk to your dietitian or a doctor.
Another problem can be cross-contamination. Even though oats are naturally gluten-free, they are often contaminated with gluten because they may be processed in the same facilities as gluten-containing grains like wheat, rye, and barley. Therefore, if you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, always make sure your oats are certified gluten-free to avoid any cross-contamination issues.
HOW TO MAKE KABOCHA SQUASH OVERNIGHT OATS
NOTE: To make overnight oats, it’s ideal to soak them in plant-based milk overnight, or at least for a couple of hours. The soaking process reduces the level of phytic acid which can inhibit the proper absorption of minerals link zinc and iron. By soaking them, your body will absorb the nutrients much better.
Soak rolled oats in rice milk overnight.
In the morning, place overnight oats into a high-speed blender. Add Kabocha squash puree, pumpkin pie spice mix, turmeric powder, and maple syrup (optional). Blend briefly until smooth and creamy.
Serve in jars and top with coconut whipped cream or coconut yogurt. Sprinkle with finely chopped dark chocolate pieces.
TIPS AND HOW-TOS
Rice milk: You can use other plant-based milk like almond, oat, or soy.
Kabocha squash: Butternut squash is an excellent alternative to Kabocha.
HOW TO ROAST KABOCHA SQUASH
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash Kabocha squash well and pat it dry with a dishtowel.
- Cut the stem end off and then cut the squash vertically, from the stem end to the bottom end.
- Push the halves apart with your hands.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and stringy flesh.
- You can cut each half into 2 wedges (lengthwise).
- Bake for 40-55 minutes (depending on the size) or until the squash is fork-tender and browned in places.
- Check at 35 minutes by inserting a fork into the center. It should be soft. If not, return to the oven and check again in 10 minutes. Let it cool down a bit before peeling.
HOW TO MAKE KABOCHA SQUASH PUREE
- Place the skinless squash flesh in a blender or food processor.
- Process for 30 seconds to one minute, or until smooth and silky. You may need to scrape the sides down a time or two to get all of the squash pureed.
KABOCHA SQUASH OVERNIGHT OATS ARE:
- Vegan (dairy-free)
- Quick and easy to make
- High in fiber
Thank you for stopping by! If you try this recipe, please let us know what you think in the comments section below. Your feedback means a lot to us! Also, if you post it on Instagram, please tag us with @alltheworldisgreen because we love to see your remakes.
Kabocha Squash Overnight Oats
- 80 g rolled oats
- 200 ml rice milk
- 100 g roasted Kabocha squash puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder optional
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional
- Soak rolled oats in rice milk overnight.NOTE: To make overnight oats, it's ideal to soak them in plant-based milk overnight, or at least for a couple of hours. The soaking process reduces the level of phytic acid which can inhibit the proper absorption of minerals link zinc and iron. By soaking them, your body will absorb the nutrients much better.
- In the morning, place overnight oats into a high-speed blender. Add Kabocha squash puree (see How to roast Kabocha and make puree), pumpkin pie spice mix, turmeric powder, and maple syrup. Blend briefly until smooth and creamy.
- Serve in jars and top with coconut whipped cream or coconut yogurt. Sprinkle with finely chopped dark chocolate pieces.
* The nutritional information provided is calculated automatically and should be used as an estimate.