HAZELNUT GRANOLA BREAKFAST BARS
Simple, nutty, and chewy, hazelnut granola breakfast bars are great as a breakfast option, post workout snack or as an afternoon pick-me-up. They are packed with wholesome ingredients and healthy fats. Also, they are refined sugar free and sweetened only with dates and dried cranberries.
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and super easy to make.
MEET THE INGREDIENTS
- Dry roasted hazelnuts (check How to roast hazelnuts)
- Gluten-free rolled oats – always make sure to buy certified gluten-free rolled oats to avoid possible cross-contamination.
- Dried cranberries
- Quinoa puffs
- Chia seeds
- Coconut oil
- Dark chocolate (85% cacao)
OATS AND A GLUTEN-FREE DIET
Most people with coeliac disease or gluten intolerance can tolerate gluten-free oats with no problems. However, a small percentage of people may still react to avenin – a protein in oats similar to gluten. For these people, even certified gluten-free oats may be unsafe. If you develop any new symptoms after adding gluten-free oats to your diet, it’s best if you talk to your dietitian or a doctor.
Another problem can be cross-contamination. Even though oats are naturally gluten-free, they are often contaminated with gluten because they may be processed in the same facilities as gluten-containing grains like wheat, rye, and barley. Therefore, if you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, always make sure your oats are certified gluten-free to avoid any cross-contamination issues.
HOW TO MAKE IT
SOAKING DATES: Put pitted dates in a bowl and cover them with water. Soak at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
Line the square cake pan (22 x 22 cm or approx. 9 inch) with baking paper.
Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl.
Drain dates and place them into a high-speed blender. Add coconut oil and blend briefly until you get a thick paste.
Add date paste to the bowl with dry ingredients and stir well until combined or use a hand mixer.
Press the mixture down firmly into prepared pan. Place it in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up.
Remove it from the pan and chop it into bars or squares.
Drizzle the slices with melted dark chocolate.
TIPS AND HOW-TOS
Dried cranberries: You can replace the dried cranberries with dried cherries, dried raisins, dried figs, dried currants…
Quinoa puffs: You can use millet or amaranth puffs instead.
HOW TO ROAST HAZELNUTS
Roasting hazelnuts deepens their flavor and gives them a crisper texture. Here is how to do it:
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Spread the hazelnuts in an even layer on the baking sheet. Place in oven and roast for 10-15 minutes. Stir or shake the tray every 5 minutes to help the hazelnuts to cook evenly.
- When the hazelnuts are browned and smell nutty, remove from the oven, and immediately transfer onto a plate or another baking sheet.
- Once they are cool enough, place them in a clean tea towel and gently rub together until most of the skins have come off.
HAZELNUT GRANOLA BREAKFAST BARS ARE:
- High in fiber
- Nutritious and filling
- Easy to make
- Healthy and delicious snack option
Thank you for stopping by! If you try this recipe, please let us know what you think in the comments section below. Your feedback means a lot to us! Also, if you post it on Instagram, please tag us with @alltheworldisgreen because we love to see your remakes.
Hazelnut Granola Breakfast Bars
- 100 g roughly chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 100 g gluten-free rolled oats
- 200 g dates soak in water for 1-2 hours
- 50 g finely chopped dried cranberries
- 20 g quinoa puffs
- 10 g chia seeds
- 60 ml coconut oil
- 50 g dark chocolate
- Line the square cake pan (22 x 22 cm or approx. 9 inch) with baking paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Drain dates and place them into a high-speed blender. Add coconut oil and blend briefly until you get a thick paste.
- Add date paste to the bowl with dry ingredients and stir well until combined or use a hand mixer.
- Press the mixture down firmly into prepared pan.
- Place it in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up.
- Remove it from the pan and chop it into bars or squares.
- Drizzle the slices with melted dark chocolate.
* The nutritional information provided is calculated automatically and should be used as an estimate.