Double Chocolate Cake with Apricot Jam
- 140 g Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 100 g almond flour
- 70 g cacao powder
- 80 g coconut sugar
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 150 g apple sauce at room temperature
- 20 tablespoons almond milk or any other alternative approx. 200 ml (at room temperature)
Chocolate and coconut icing
- apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 180° C. Line two bases of a 14 cm springform cake tins with baking paper.
- To prepare flax eggs, simply grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder. Mix 2 tablespoons of grounded flax seeds with 6 tablespoons of water and stir well. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: almond flour, 1-to-1 Baking Flour, coconut sugar, cacao powder, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl mix wet ingredients: coconut oil, flax eggs, applesauce, apple cider vinegar, and 20 tablespoons of almond milk. Make sure wet ingredients are at room temperature before mixing them together with coconut oil so the oil doesn't solidify again.
- Add wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients and mix it with a stand or hand mixer for about 5 minutes until combined. Adjust sweetness if necessary.
- If the mixture is too thick add another 1-2 tablespoons of milk.
- Divide batter evenly between your 2 cake tins and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake for approx. 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down completely.
- Once cooled, add a layer of apricot jam in between the layers.
Chocolate and coconut cream icing
- Melt the coconut oil and chocolate in a medium pot over low heat. Stir until smooth. Let it cool down a bit.
- Add coconut cream, melted chocolate, cacao powder, and agave to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick to blend add 1-2 tablespoons warm full-fat coconut milk and mix again until smooth and silky.
- With an icing spatula, spread the icing evenly, in between the layers (on top of apricot jam) and all over the cake.
- Decorate with blueberries and edible flowers.