HEALTHY CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE
Have you tried adding oats to your smoothies? Overnight oats and oatmeal are an easy and healthy breakfast option you can prepare for a busy week ahead. Not only do they add a little extra plant-based protein and fiber to your diet, but they also keep you full longer.
Chocolate Hazelnut Overnight Oatmeal Smoothie is a filling and delicious recipe that will take you less than 10 minutes to make (if you don’t count soaking oats).
Vegan, gluten-free, and packed with plant-based protein and fiber, it makes a healthy and easy breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon pick-me-up.
MEET THE INGREDIENTS
- Rolled oats – always make sure to buy certified gluten-free rolled oats to avoid possible cross-contamination.
- Rice milk
- Frozen bananas (check How to freeze bananas)
- Dry roasted hazelnuts (check How to roast hazelnuts)
- Raw cacao powder
- Maple syrup (optional)
OATS AND A GLUTEN-FREE DIET
Most people with coeliac disease or gluten intolerance can tolerate gluten-free oats with no problems. However, a small percentage of people may still react to avenin – a protein in oats similar to gluten. For these people, even certified gluten-free oats may be unsafe. If you develop any new symptoms after adding gluten-free oats to your diet, it’s best if you talk to your dietitian or a doctor.
Another problem can be cross-contamination. Even though oats are naturally gluten-free, they are often contaminated with gluten because they may be processed in the same facilities as gluten-containing grains like wheat, rye, and barley. Therefore, if you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, always make sure your oats are certified gluten-free to avoid any cross-contamination issues.
HOW TO MAKE IT
NOTE: To make overnight oats, it’s ideal to soak them in plant-based milk overnight, or at least for a couple of hours. The soaking process reduces the level of phytic acid which can inhibit the proper absorption of minerals link zinc and iron. By soaking them, your body will absorb the nutrients much better.
Soak rolled oats in rice milk overnight.
In the morning, place overnight oats into a high-speed blender. Add frozen bananas, dry roasted hazelnuts, raw cacao powder, maple syrup (optional), and rice milk. Blend briefly until smooth and creamy.
Serve in jars.
TIPS AND HOW-TOS
Dry-roasted hazelnuts: Instead of dry roasted hazelnuts, try adding dry-roasted cashews or peanuts. It will taste equally delicious.
Rice milk: You can use other plant-based milk like almond, oat, or soy.
HOW TO ROAST HAZELNUTS
Roasting hazelnuts deepens their flavor and gives them a crisper texture. Here is how to do it:
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Spread the hazelnuts in an even layer on the baking sheet. Place in oven and roast for 10-15 minutes. Stir or shake the tray every 5 minutes to help the hazelnuts to cook evenly.
- When the hazelnuts are browned and smell nutty, remove from the oven, and immediately transfer onto a plate or another baking sheet.
- Once they are cool enough, place them in a clean tea towel and gently rub together until most of the skins have come off.
HOW TO FREEZE RIPE BANANAS
Bananas are best frozen when they’re ripe or slightly overripe (spotty). Here is how to do it:
- To freeze banana slices, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel your bananas and cut into 1.5 – 2 cm thick slices.
- Arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet and freeze until the bananas are solid, for about 2 hours.
- Once frozen, peel the banana slices off of the parchment paper, and place them in a freezer-safe container.
- Put them back into the freezer until ready to use.
- Make sure you seal the container properly to prevent them from turning brown.
- Store bananas in the freezer for up to 3 months.
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT OVERNIGHT OATMEAL SMOOTHIE IS:
- Nutritious and filling
- Easy to make
Thank you for stopping by! If you try this recipe, please let us know what you think in the comments section below. Your feedback means a lot to us! Also, if you post it on Instagram, please tag us with @alltheworldisgreen because we love to see your remakes.
Chocolate Hazelnut Overnight Oatmeal Smoothie
- 80 g gluten-free rolled oats
- 250 ml rice milk
- 2 medium-sized frozen bananas
- 50 g dry roasted hazelnuts
- 30 g raw cacao powder
- 180 ml rice milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional
- Soak rolled oats in rice milk overnight.
- In the morning, place overnight oats into a high-speed blender. Add frozen bananas, dry roasted hazelnuts, raw cacao powder, maple syrup (optional), and rice milk. Blend briefly until smooth and creamy.
- Serve in jars.
* The nutritional information provided is calculated automatically and should be used as an estimate.