NUTRIENT-DENSE PANCAKE RECIPE
These chickpea flour and spinach pancakes are a great choice for a healthy, nutrient-dense breakfast. The recipe requires only a couple of ingredients: chickpea flour, spinach, and garlic and it’s super easy to make. You can make these for breakfast, brunch or as an afternoon snack.
Chickpea flour is one of my favorite flours and I use it quite often in my recipes. It is a gluten-free flour made from dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and is also known as garbanzo flour.
It is high in protein (1 cup contains more than 20 g of protein), fiber, and micronutrients and is lower in carbs and calories than traditional wheat flour.
You can use it in both, sweet and savory recipes. Use it to make bread, cookies, pizza dough, socca, pancakes, to thicken soups, sauces, and gravies or as a crunchy coating.
WANT MORE CHICKPEA FLOUR RECIPES?
Then check out these:
- delicious and easy to make Chickpea Flour Frittata
- easy pancake recipe for Chickpea Flour Pancakes
- gingerbread Chickpea Flour Chocolate Pancakes
Chickpea Flour Spinach Pancakes
- 100 g chickpea flour
- 150 g fresh spinach about 6 handfuls
- 150 ml water
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- salt to taste
- Wash spinach and drain it well, squeezing out excess liquid.
- Place 150 g (about 6 handfuls) of spinach and 150 ml water in the blender and blend shortly until smooth. Set aside.
- To make the batter, stir together the chickpea flour, the blended spinach mixture and salt in a small bowl. Stir together until combined completely making sure to eliminate all of the lumps. Add minced garlic.
- Note: The batter’s consistency should be slightly thick: it should be thick enough that it drips rather than runs off the spoon.If the batter is too thin add 1 extra tablespoon of chickpea flour. If it's is too thick, add 1 extra tablespoon of water and stir again.
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Brush the pan with olive oil and preheat it under medium heat.
- Pour the batter into a circle (use 1 heaped tablespoon for each pancake).
- When the pancake starts bubbling a bit and the bottom is lightly browned, flip it over and cook briefly on the other side.
- Makes approx. 10 pancakes.
All images and text © Nensi & Slaven Beram. Read more about copyright and usage policy here