GETTING YOUR SWEET FIX WITH CHICKPEAS
NOTE: This recipe was originally published in 2018. It has been improved and updated with new photos and helpful tips.
Chickpea chocolate fudge bites are a guilt-free sweet treat you can feel good about. These delicious little bites are full of nutrients, high in protein, very easy to make, and they taste absolutely amazing.
You can serve them as a healthy snack, light dessert, or as an afternoon pick-me-up.
They are rich, fudgy, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free and will certainly satisfy your sweet tooth. They are also refined-sugar free and sweetened only with date paste.
MEET THE INGREDIENTS
You can find instructions and the exact measurements in the recipe card below
Chickpea chocolate fudge bites are made with healthy and wholesome ingredients. This is what you’ll need to make it:
- Cooked chickpeas
- Date paste
- Coconut butter
- Dark chocolate (85% cacao)
- Roasted hazelnuts (check How to roast hazelnuts)
HOW TO MAKE CHICKPEA CHOCOLATE FUDGE BITES
You can find instructions and the exact measurements in the recipe card below.
Melt coconut butter over low heat in a medium pot. Set aside.
Melt dark chocolate over low heat in a medium pot. Stir until smooth.
Place cooked and peeled chickpeas, date paste, and melted coconut butter into a high-speed blender and process until combined completely. Add 1-2 tablespoons of rice or almond milk if the mixture is too thick to process.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add in melted chocolate and 50 g ground hazelnuts and mix briefly with a hand mixer until all is well combined.
Press the mixture into small silicone muffin molds and top each one with 3-4 whole roasted hazelnuts.
Place in a fridge for a couple of hours, this allows them to set and firm up. If you are in a hurry, place them in a freezer for about 30 minutes.
Store in a fridge.
As you already know, chickpeas are usually sold dried or cooked in a can. I prefer to use the dried ones and cook them myself (see How to cook chickpeas below) but feel free to use canned chickpeas for this recipe.
HOW TO COOK CHICKPEAS
- Wash chickpeas really well, add them to a large bowl and cover with water. The chickpeas will triple in size so it’s important to add plenty of water. Soak the chickpeas for at least 12 hours, best overnight.
- Drain and rinse soaked chickpeas and place them in a large pot. Cover the chickpeas with water and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until they are tender, 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours.
- It’s best if you keep the lid on but slightly ajar allowing some steam to escape while cooking. Keep an eye on the water level during cooking and top up with fresh hot water from time to time if needed.
- Keep cooked chickpeas in the fridge for 3-4 days.
HOW TO ROAST HAZELNUTS
Roasting hazelnuts deepens their flavor and gives them a crisper texture. Here is how to do it:
- Preheat oven to 175 °C. Spread the hazelnuts in an even layer on the baking sheet. Place in oven and roast for 10-15 minutes. Stir or shake the tray every 5 minutes to help the hazelnuts to cook evenly.
- When the hazelnuts are browned and smell nutty, remove from the oven, and immediately transfer onto a plate or another baking sheet.
- Once they are cool enough, place them in a clean tea towel and gently rub together until most of the skins have come off.
CHICKPEA CHOCOLATE FUDGE BITES ARE:
- Easy to make
INTERESTED IN MORE CHICKPEA DESSERT RECIPES?
If you enjoyed chickpea chocolate fudge bites, here are a few more favorites:
- Flourless Chickpea Chocolate Muffins
- Chickpea Chocolate Pudding
- Chickpea Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Gingerbread Chickpea Peanut Cookies
Chickpea Chocolate Fudge Bites
- Melt dark chocolate over low heat in a medium pot. Stir until smooth.
- Place chickpeas, date paste, and melted coconut butter into a high-speed blender and process until combined completely. Add 1-2 tablespoons of rice or almond milk if the mixture is too thick to process.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add in melted chocolate and 50 g ground hazelnuts and mix briefly with a hand mixer until all is well combined.
- Press the mixture into small silicone muffin molds. Top each one with 3-4 whole roasted hazelnuts.
- Place in a fridge for a couple of hours, this allows them to set and firm up. If you are in a hurry, place them in a freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Store in a fridge.