Broccoli Spinach Chickpea Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- thumb-sized ginger minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 kg broccoli florets
- 4 big handfuls spinach
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked
- 5 cups water
- salt to taste
- 40 g cashews previously soaked for a couple of hours
- 100 ml almond milk or any other alternative
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
- Place everything into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Put it in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot place 2 tablespoons of olive oil and chopped onion, and cook over low-medium heat for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add minced garlic and ginger and cook for another couple of minutes on low.
- Now add 1 cup cooked chickpeas, broccoli florets, 5 cups of water, and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes until broccoli florets are tender. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Just before the soup is cooked add 4 big handfuls of spinach and cook for about 1 minute until the leaves are wilted. Remove from heat.
- When the soup is done, add cashew cream and use the immersion blender to puree the soup completely (or you can transfer this mixture into a blender and blend until smooth).
- Transfer the blended soup back to the stove and let it simmer for another couple of minutes until it thickens while stirring constantly.
- Serve in a bowl. Top with roasted cashews, steamed broccoli florets, parsley, white sesame seeds, soy yogurt…
All images and text © Nensi & Slaven Beram. Read more about copyright and usage policy here